Saturday, September 1, 2012

Personal Mission Statement

My mom professed a challenged during a special coffee conversation we were blessed to be together and share: What is your mission statement? Our home church had been rewriting their mission statement, and as businesses, charities, universities et al. clarify their communal purpose with one, so might we with our own.

To write my own mission statement, I explored, "Who am I becoming and what are my priorities?" and, "How might I best word my statement so as to generalize across time, activities, settings, and intentions?"I wanted to write something dynamic rather than static. Using few words so as to be memorable, words used must carry great weight and be ambiguous as to transfer. Various aspects of my personality must cohere; I am always a student and also a therapist, a teacher, significant other, family member, and a friend. I want to express wonder, humility, sincerity, and self-control. I hope to inspire adaptation and encourage empathy. I am more motivated when able to interpret or establish purpose. I hope to be a wholesome influence on people, activities, and ideas. I want a mission statement that describes while also inspiring ongoing growth.

Now, I proudly share my personal mission statement:

"Awestruck, always, and becoming awesome: shaping acceptance, presence, direction, faith, and reverence within myself, those around me, and my environment."

The words and phrasing of a personal mission statement hold personal significance to the writer. I would like to pass this challenge on. May you readers invest more time in thought than just spent in reading. Take five (or twenty, or an afternoon), and muse upon yourself, your life, your mission statement.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Jaim, I haven't even written my own statement yet, so I'll be very happy to use this one!

    Actually, no I would never do that. A mission statement is a personal statement, and so I will "labor" on that task this lovely Labor Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good good good, I can not wait to hear it. It was a really nice feeling to spend time in thought writing it, so I wish you the same!

    ReplyDelete