Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fuck! Just fucking fuck the fucking fucker!

Warning: This article features suggestive material and excessive use of offensive language to explore grammatical function. Admittedly, if this disclaimer is being read, it is probably too late to prevent "virgin minds" from being exposed to the explicit nature of this educational pursuit. So read on!

Also, acknowledge that this is a personal blog. I also write about Music Therapy or professional topics, but do so because I personally love the field or the topics.


Most people my age get very excited about a good "fuck," especially as they discover its incredible flexibility. Can you imagine why? I never thought I would be giving this talk so soon. Well... There are only eight parts of speech in the English language, and so, as a typical testosterone-driven male, I wondered which words might fit into every word class. Can you think of any? I suspected slang could broaden the possible grammatical uses of a root word and expletives might be applied in many creative ways.

Peevish Penman published an argument that "fuck" can qualify for nine parts of speech, including sub-category examples. (Articles are sometimes considered to be an independent category - who knew "a" and "the" were so special?) I dream I could agree, but scroll down through the comments and an anonymous reply more accurately negated "fuck" as a pronoun, conjunction, preposition, or article, and composed a perfect example of it being used as an interjection, adverb, verb, adjective, and noun: "Fuck! Just fucking fuck the fucking fucker!"

I think "fuckhead" exemplifies an appropriate use as a pronoun, thus personally concluding "fuck" to comprise 6 out of 8, or 75% of all English lexical categories. Fat bottom line: "fuck" is a grammar slut. Experiment for yourself with the safety root word in the Urban Dictionary, and be sure to educate your dirty talk by looking up "fuckspeak."

1 comment: